Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Kim..Ly?

I have the name that, without fail, gets misspelled when I order food or coffee, so much so that I have resorted to going by Kim. It's the name I must repeat whenever meeting someone new, explaining that it's Kimberly without the "ber." The name that has lead people to ask, "Why do people call her by her first and last name together?" The name that people never fully know how to correctly pronounce, while my friends (I'm just gonna be blunt and say it's my white friends.) fear it's incredibly offensive when their parents pronounce it as though it's two separate words.

Revelation: My name is originally supposed to be separated into two one-syllable words (like all other Vietnamese words: Kim Ly).

And in honestly, I really don't mind how you pronounce my name.
(As long as it's not Kimry, cause I could go on a whole rant about the racism behind that. I don't think that stereotype should ever be applied to me considering I couldn't pronounce the "r" sound until 8.)

This is another one of my pointless posts. And after hearing my name said out loud far more times than I could ever be comfortable with in a span of three hours, I just felt like writing..

No comments: